I live in PA with my fiance in his house. He wants me out in less than a week. My name is not on house. Can he do this?

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 8, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I live in PA with my fiance in his house. He wants me out in less than a week. My name is not on house. Can he do this?

Asked on June 8, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If you are living in another persons home and that person is the owner without a written agreement such as a lease you are not entitled to live on that property. If you have been paying rent without a lease you may be able to argue it was implied to buy a few additional weeks. You can also try to prove you paid a substantial portion of the bills, mortgage etc if you did to again try to buy a few weeks.

However the work it will take to argue this may not be worth the small additional time you are entitled to stay on the property. In short it would seem you will have to vacate the premises assuming no lease is in effect. I do advise calling a local attorney simply to ask if PA has any state specific exceptions to what I said and if they can advise you on the best possible avenue at this point

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption