If I have been married 24 years and want a divorce but have no money to file, what options do I have?

We have 2 kids. My husband doesn’t want to divorce.

Asked on July 28, 2012 under Family Law, Indiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can check with your local family courts to see if they have brochures and guides to help you file on your own.  If you don't have sufficient funds, you may qualify for legal aid or other forms of no or low cost legal representation.  It makes no difference if your husband does not wish to divorce.  If you wish to, contact the state legal aid centers or state bar for pro bono programs.

M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  If you qualify for legal aid or a legal services agency try there.  There are also sometimes clinics associated with local Law Schools that will help file paperwork or take your case and also local Bar Associations that have pro bono (free) help.  If he does not want to divorce it will be "contested" and take much longer.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.