Under what circumstances can parental rights be terminated?

I have been divorced after a domestic abuse incident for almost four years now and have sole legal custody with primary placement. The father has visitation every other sunday for 8 hours, however he has not made any attempt to see the children in almost 4 years. Can I request his parental rights be terminated without someone to take over those rights as I am not married or with anyone?

Asked on January 8, 2013 under Family Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country the only way a parent can have his or her parental rights terminated is to voluntarily allow a third person by way of a signed adoption agreement subject to court approval to allow another to adopt the minor child. If the "ex" is willing to sign an adoption agreement where a third party takes over the parental obligations of the minor or minors, such is the only way to terminate such parental rights.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.