What to do about a self-renewing contract?

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do about a self-renewing contract?

I bought a home from my parents that had a propane tank underground. When I called the company to ask current gas prices I found they were significantly higher then other local companies. I told them I was going to shop around and they told me they own the tank and theirs is the only company that can fill it. I brought this up to my father and he said he signed a 10 year contract with them which is fine but that was 16 years ago. I called and asked them for a copy of the contract because of the the 10 year agreement. Now they are saying its a self-renewing contract and there is nothing I can do?

Asked on December 15, 2011 under General Practice, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Some contracts do automatically renew each year unless one party provides notice of non-renewal. Since you do not have a copy of the contract, you do not know exactly what it's terms--e.g. for renewal, for cancellation, etc.--are. You may have to sue this company; if you bring a legal action, you can force them to provide a copy of the contract to you, at which point you can take appropriate action.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption