What to do if I have a rental property that i would like to put in an LLC?

I’m the sole member of the LLC. What’s the best way to do this? Will it affect my current mortgage on that property?

Asked on September 17, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The transfer of legal title of the real property that you own should have no legal effect upon your mortgage's due on sales clause since you own the limited liability company that you want to transfer the title of your property into.

The way to do what you desire is to consult with a business attorney to create a limited liability company with your state's secretary of state's office. Once created, you then transfer title of the property you have by way of a deed recorded in your county's recorder's office into the name of your limited liability company. I suggest that the business attorney discuss the pros and cons of what you want to do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.