What to do if I wrote a check $465 for HOA fees over 2 years ago that was not cashed so my bank credited my account but now the HOA wants that money?

I told him that I need to contact my bank for all statements for that year. Initially the HOA told me if I pay they will accept 50% of the original amount. Now that I have statements, they are asking for 100%. If I don’t pay they will report to the me to the city. Also, there has been many times that the the HOA has not paid gardener. Do I pay 100% or do I have grounds to not pay that check at all?

Asked on September 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you owed the HOA $465 for fees and paid such amount to your HOA but for some reason it failed to negtiate the check after the passage of two (2) plus years, the under the laws of all states in this country you still owe this amount but no accrued interest or penalties from the date of payment onward.

As such, you need to pay what is owed the HOA. When you pay the $465 send a note stating that such amount was paid long ago but the HOA failed to negotiate the check. Keep a copy of this note for future use and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.