If I have a joint account with a friend who filed Chapter 7 and now the Trustee has withdrawn $47,000 out of my account, how can I recoup my money?

Asked on November 23, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You will have to file an adversary action against the trustee and prove that the money is yours.  The characterization of "my account" is incorrect as the account, by your own admission, is "our account". 

I would advise you to seek counsel from an experienced bankruptcy practitioner in your juristiction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.