Since I have a dispute with my ex-landlord regarding move out charges so I’m refusing them, what will happen next for me if I’m sent to collections?

I will inform the collection agency of the problem. The problem started with my landlord when they refused a walk-through with me in the beginning and the end of my lease term.

Asked on November 24, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

"Collections" doesn't result in you having to pay unless you are sued (by the landlord or the collections agency--it depends on whether the agency is working for the landlord [in which case the landlord would sue] or purchased the claim from the landlord [in which case the agency would sue]). If they feel the claim is justified, they could sue; and if they can prove in court that you owe the money, they can get a judgment ordering you to pay it. But they can't do anything like garnish wages, levy on a bank account, etc. without going to court--they need to sue you and win to take legal action.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.