If I have a court date for driving with an invalid license because of an insurance mix-up, should I plead not guilty at court or just go pay the $227 fine?

Apparently when I moved to another state, my insurance company canceled my old policy when I switched to my new policy. However, they also notified my former state of residence that I no longer had insurance so the state suspended my license. I rectified the situation with that state’s DMV by giving them proof that I had insurance and they have since reinstated my license.

Asked on October 22, 2015 under General Practice, Alabama


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You should definitely plead not guilty because the problem was due to the insurance company's mistake.  You should present evidence of what occurred and that you had insurance at all times and that you proved that to the DMV which reinstated your license.  Therefore, you did not drive with an invalid license.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.