What must an eviction notice for a homeowner state?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What must an eviction notice for a homeowner state?

My home was foreclosed on
illegally. I received an
eviction notice posted on my
door that appears to be

Asked on May 5, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Are you referring to a notice from the sheriff or a constable, or from the person(s) or business who claims to own your home?
If from a law enforcement officer, you can call the office and verify that it was issued by that  office and so if it is presumptively valid.
A notice from the person(s), etc. claiming to own has to identify who they are (and their lawyer if they have one) and how to contact them, state how and why they claim to own (e.g. purchased at a foreclosure sale), state that you are not an owner and have no right or permission to reside in or occupy that home, and then give you until a certain date (a reasonable amount of time away--generally 2 weeks to 1 month) to vacate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption