If I have a child support case in one week, is that something I will need a lawyer for?

What will I need for that, just pay stubs?

Asked on August 26, 2015 under Family Law, Tennessee


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to be represented by an attorney.  If the other parent has an attorney, you will be at a disadvantage representing yourself.
In addition to your pay stubs, you should have filed an Income and Expense Declaration with the court.  That is a form, you can obtain from the court.  It should have been filed with the court and served by mail on the opposing party or the opposing party's attorney.  You may have missed the deadline for filing with the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.