What can I do if my daughter no longer wishes to see her father for his custodial time?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my daughter no longer wishes to see her father for his custodial time?

I have a 15 year old daughter. Her father and I have been divorced for 6 years. We’ve had 1 modification of the parenting plan 4 years ago. I am primary custodial parent. We have joint legal custody. He has her with him every other weekend and 1 weekday night. My daughter no longer wishes to be obligated to go with her father during his custodial times. They don’t have a very good relationship as he is very controlling and has anger issues. She has not gone with him in almost a month and has blocked him from her phone. She has, at my insistence emailed him with how she feels. I have been urging her to talk with him and let him know how she feels.

Asked on August 26, 2015 under Family Law, Georgia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Your daughter's father can ask the court to hold you in contempt if you are intentionally interferring with your child's visitation. However, the reality is that since your daughter is 15, you can't physically force her to visit with her father if she doesn't want to. Even if you threaten her with some kind of punishment is not likely to get her to go. The fact is that a teenager most likely would rather be with their friends than with either of their mother or father. In recognition of this reality, the courts typically hold the teenagers responsible for their missed visitation and not the custodial parent. Accordingly, since the custodial parent cannot make their teenager visit as ordered, the court is unlikely to find the parent in contempt for failing to comply with the visitation order.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption