i gave the minimum liability car insurance with extra medical coverage, we have a home we bought four years ago, can we be personally sued?

We have a home that we bought 4 years ago.

Asked on June 26, 2017 under Accident Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can personally be liable for any property damage or personal injuries (e.g. medical bills; or pain and suffering if the injuries result in significant life impairment) you are at fault in causing if the amount of damage or injuries exceeds your insurance. Your insurance does not limit what the injured person or other driver can sue for; it limits how much your insurer will pay for you. So if you cause more damage or injuries than you have insurance, you can be held personally liable for the excess (again, assuming you were at fault--e.g. driving negligently or carelessly, in causing the accident; liability depens on fault).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.