If I entered the US on an F-1 Visa about 6 1/2 years ago and re-entered with an F-1 visa over 2 1/2 years ago, do I need to sign up for Obamacare?

I know that I am exempt from counting days of presence for 5 years after entering the US. I am not sure if this is counted based on when I entered or re-entered the US. Could I be treated as nonresident aliens for tax purposes and opt out of Obamacare, if I do not have health insurance?

Asked on March 25, 2014 under Immigration Law, Kentucky


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

This is not really an immigration question, so you would need to seek the answer to the question elsewhere.  If you are an international student, you should probably direct the questions to the foreign students' advisor's office in your school to start with.  They will probably be able to direct you further.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.