If I bought a new car less than 72 hours ago but have since changed my mind and want my trade in car back, is that a legal issue?

Asked on January 21, 2013 under General Practice, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

It is a legal issue in that you have no legal right to do this: the law does not give you a "cooling off" or rescission period during which you can change your mind and undo the transaction, returning the new car and getting your old car and money back. Once you buy the car, the transaction is final. Certainly you can talk to the dealer or seller, and see if he'll do this voluntarily under terms that work for you; but if he won't, you cannot force him  to.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.