What are my rights if my job duties are not what I was told they would be and so I’m not performing well and might now be terminated because of it?

I applied to a job based on particular duties the job entailed. Some of the job duties had vague definitions however. Yet when HR responded back, they listed exactly what I’d be doing. d on that, I continued the job process. During the interview my manager told me exactly what I’d be doing; I demonstrated my experience in this. So I was offered the job. I accepted her offer based on my understanding of the duties in the interview and email. However, it’s been 3 months and I am hardly assigned these duties. I’m doing things I’m not experienced in and am being told I may get let go because of this.

Asked on November 12, 2015 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, unless you have  protection under the terms of an employment contract, union agreement or company policy, your employer had the right to change your job duites. That is so long as your treatment was not due to actionable discrimination of some sort. Otherwise, in an "at will" employment arrangement, an employer can set the terms and conditions of employment much as it sees fit or deems necessary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.