If I am the independent executor of my dad’s estate, can I sale my dad’s home to settle debts?

The title wants my sister to sign the deed but I cannot reach her at all. Also, I have had my dad’s Will probated by the court. So again I thought the Letters of Testamentary gave me the powers to settle all debts of the estate, even if I need to sale properties.

Asked on August 16, 2014 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  I hope that you are not doing this with out help from an attorney or at the very least on a consultation basis.  If you have full letters given you by the court, and you have given the beneficiaries proper notice and they have either failed to appear and object then you have the power to do what is necessary to finalize the estate.  Did you post a bond when you were appointed?  That is your insurance against claims.  But maybe you can figure out what would be her share after the debts are paid and place it in escrow at closing to satisfy the title company.  Again, use a professional here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.