What to do if I’m the beneficiary of a Trust of which my mother is the trustee but she has refused to give me accounting of the Trust since it’s inception 7 years ago?

Does the bank have the right to deny me an accounting of the trust instrument because she told them not to give it to me?

Asked on March 2, 2015 under Estate Planning, Missouri


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

What does the Trust say?  Is the trustee relieved of giving an accounting to the trust beneficiaires?  Even if it says that though the law requires some accounting be given after the death of the settlor. Look at Missouri Trust Code Section 456.8-813.1(1).  Under this section of the Missouri Trust Code, a trustee is required to keep the qualified beneficiaries reasonably informed about the trust’s administration and of the material facts necessary for the beneficiaries to protect their interests.  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.