What can I do if my father died and my stepmother won’t tell me nothing?

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my father died and my stepmother won’t tell me nothing?

He had no Will. I was a beneficiary on one of his life insurance policies. She got the whole life insurance for one of them. He had two. He also has stocks from the company he worked for. Does she get those also or am I entitled to any of them or some?

Asked on March 2, 2015 under Estate Planning, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  Your Father died what is called "intestate" and under Georgia intestate succession laws a spouse and descendents share equally in the intestate property but the spouse may not get less than 1/3 of the estate of the decedent.  It all depends on what was held by him alone at the time of his death (jointly help property went to her automatically).  Anything that has a beneficairy designation goes to that person automatically as well, like the life insurance.  So you need to do a little digging or have an attorney write you a letter doing the digging.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption