If I’m involved in a criminal investigation regarding my POA status and taking money from my father, do I seek a lawyer before I meet with the officer who informed me over the phone of the investigation?

Asked on September 12, 2015 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Whenever potential criminal charges are involved, legal counsel should be obtained. And anytime a suspect meets with the police, they absolutely should have a criminal law attorney with them. The fact is that to not do so is always to the advantage of the authorities. They are highly trained in getting someone to incriminate themselves. The good cop bad cop approach is extremely effective. So they will try to befriend you one minute and then intimidate you the next.
At this point, you should retain a criminal defense attorney ASAP.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.