If I was charged with assault for domestic violence 3 years ago and was told I would never be able to work as a phlebotomist again, is this correct?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was charged with assault for domestic violence 3 years ago and was told I would never be able to work as a phlebotomist again, is this correct?

I completed all requirements the court asked. What can I do to be able to work in that field again?

Asked on September 12, 2015 under Criminal Law, Arizona


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, many people enter pleas to misdemeanor assault charges thinking, "it's just a misdemeanor, it can't hurt that bad..."  Unfortunately, more and more employers are declining to hire people who have any assaultive issues on their criminal history.  With that being said...you are not without options.
The first is to seek employment through a different agency or employer.  Not all with disqualify and with enough references, one may give you an opportunity.  To increase your chances, you may want to apply for certification through one or more of the national phlebotomist organizations.  
 If you continue to be denied employment, you may want to consider visiting with a criminal appellate attorney to review your case.  Emphasis here is "appellate" attorney, not just a regular attorney.  Roughly four years ago, immigrants were able to successfully challenge a large number of convictions on the basis that their original attorneys did not properly explain all of the consequences of their pleas to them regaring their immigration status... as a result, their convictions were overturned.  You may or may not be able to get yours overturned, but it may be your last option to undo the effects of the charge.  To get a proper review, obtain copies of all of your original paperwork before you meet with the attorney.  Without the paperwork, their assessment of your case will be much more limited.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption