Can legal frms from one state be notarized in another state?

I am going through a mutal divorce. I stay in one state and my wife stays in another. I filed the divorce in my state so the form she sign says notary of my state. Can she get the forms she signed notarized in her state or does she have to come here?

Asked on January 25, 2013 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, the forms - which I am assuming are for filing an uncontested divorce - can be notarized in her state by a party designated to do so.  The notary will cross out the state listed and properly list the other state.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.