What evidence can be submitted if you were not legitimated before 18 years of age in order to file I-130 for biological father?

I am filling out form I-130 for my parents. The form states that additional evidence of financial support of emotional connection has to be provided’ there has to be evidence showing a bonafide parent-child relationship existed. I am a citizen who was naturalized this past October. My parents were not married at my time of birth and just married 11 years ago. I am the oldest of 9 children from same relationship. We are from Guatemala and very limited documents available to prove the parent/child bond. Would affidavits from 2 witnesses suffice for evidence?

Asked on November 28, 2011 under Immigration Law, California


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Is your father's name on your birth certificate?  If so, I believe you can petition for him.  You can show secondary evidence of the relationship between him and your mother and him and you and the other siblings.  You would need to provide more information about how old you are now and the circumstances of your life in that family while you were a child.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.