What expense reimbursement is a tenant entitled to?

I am currently supposed to be renting a house and it was supposed to be ready and live able by the 1st of this month and it still has no running water. We have paid the first months rent and moved all our stuff in not know of the water issue and we had propane delivered and payed the service fee paid the fee to put water in our name and when they turned the water on there was no water and we don’t know why the landlord refuses to call a plummer and now me and my family are stuck with no place to live due to this issue. Is the landlord required to pay back the service fee for the propane guy to service the propane tank and also the propane that is in the tank that we put in there, since we now have to find a new home?

Asked on January 7, 2013 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Based upon the facts of your matter with the uncaring landlord under the laws of all states in this country since you are cancelling the lease due to the perceived breach by the landlord you would be entitled from the landlord all monies expended out of your pocket concerning the unit. Such would be the water and propane moneys as well as other money you expended but did not mention.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.