What to do if I’m being charged with petit theft from my former employer?

I am a RN. I made the huge mistake of using leftover medication for personal use to treat my chronic pain. Vials were found in my car. I then lost my job. I am currently in rehab and working with the board of nursing. My plea hearing is tomorrow and I am not sure what to do?

Asked on November 11, 2013 under Criminal Law, Idaho


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You need to get a lawyer if you did not already. Petit theft, which is a misdemeanor in Idaho, is punishable by a fine of not more than $1,000, or by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or both. But how you plead will impact your license. It is great that you are working toward rehabilitation and that should go far even with the nursing board.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.