If I am a US citizen preparing to sponsor my husband who legally entered the U.S. on an A2 visa, how do I proceed with this process?

Is it different since his visa is an A2?

Asked on March 25, 2014 under Immigration Law, New Jersey


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if you are petitioning for your husband and you are a US citizen, your husband, who may be a A2 visa holder is eligible to adjust status to permanent residence but he will need to submit an additional form to USCIS as part of the packet, and that form is I-566.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.