I am a student. I fell behind on HOA fees ($455mo).I attempted to make a reasonable repayment plan.It was rejected.My hoa now wants me to pay 1k+455mo

I can not pay $1455/mo. They are not working with me. I would like them to proceed &put a lien on the condo. i am returning the condo to the bank since I cannot afford that anymore

Asked on June 15, 2009 under Real Estate Law, California


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think you really need to talk to an attorney before you do anything with your condo, one way or another.  Without knowing all of the details of your situation, I can't give you reliable advice, but there may well be a better alternative here.  One place you can find a lawyer who can help you find the right answer is our website, http://attorneypages.com

Giving up on a property is a last resort.  And almost every HOA I've ever seen is set up in a way that they can sue you for unpaid fees even after you sell or lose the unit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.