If I am a small business owner and a tech support team wiped out my complete database due to their errors, what type of attorney do I need to proceed with legal action against them?

The entire event has been recorded.

Asked on August 21, 2015 under Business Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You need a litigator someone who focuses on bringing or defending legal actions in court. Litigators frequently work on many different types of cases, so don't worry too much if the litigator has worked on a case with similar facts to yours or not the important thing is, you want an attorney who is familiar with court rules, filing complaints, making motions, and trying cases, not someone whose focus is on negotiating voluntary business deals or drafting contracts/agreements. If you can show in court that the tech support teams' negligence carelessness wiped out your datebase, you can potentially recover the cost to rebuild or reacquire that data, or alternately, the lost profit from business disruption.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.