If I’m looking to do some computer repair gigs on my free time, should I be concerned about implementing liability waivers or any other legal trouble that can come out of this?

I’m very tech-saavy and I’d like to make a few extra dollars on my free time. However, I have no immediate plans of turning this into a business. I work a part-time job and am a full-time student, so I wouldn’t be capable of that. The only customers I plan to have are family, friends, “friends of friends” and maybe some people I can reach out to via social media such as Facebook. Should I really hire a lawyer, or am I safe simply going about and helping people with their issues?

Asked on August 27, 2015 under Business Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The best way to protect from most possible liability for doing this is to set up a limited liability company or LLC--you can do this yourself go to your state's department of state website for information and/or forms for a costs of few hundred dollars. Once you have an LLC, you will not be personally liable for the majority of business related debts or obligations no protection is perfect there are always some exceptions you can't protect against. Furthermore, by keeping business expenses separate from personal, it will facilitate you in taking business expenses e.g. parts, equiptment, possibly a portion of web/internet access, tools, some office furnishings, etc. as tax deductions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.