What to do if I hired a contractor he received 1/3 of the money to start he hasn’t bought any materials and it’s been 2 months so far?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I hired a contractor he received 1/3 of the money to start he hasn’t bought any materials and it’s been 2 months so far?

I feel I’m being scammed and want out of the contract. Do I have any chance of getting my money back?

Asked on August 27, 2015 under Business Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If there was a date in the contract by which the work should start and he has already exceeded that date, he is in violation of the contract and you could sue him for the return of your money.
If there is a date and he hasn't reached it yet, he hasn't done anything wrong--he still has more time.
If there was no date set in the agreement, the case is not as clear cut, but he still cannot delay indefinitely. Send him a written request, sent some way you can prove delivery e.g. by certified mail or fed ex with tracking setting out how much time has passed and asking him to, within, say, 10 business days, provide you with a schedule for the work and date by which he will begin. If he does not do that, send him a second letter again, sent some way you can prove delivery that by his refusal to start work or even set a date/schedule, he is in breach of contract and that you are requesting your money back. If he still will not refund your money, then you should sue him possibly in small claims court, acting as your own attorney or "pro se" to save on legal fees to recover your funds.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption