What would be a reasonable compensation for my pain and suffering?

I am a 46 year old single mom of a 5 year old son who has cerebral palsy. He is a total needs child. I am his primary caregiver and was recently in a car accident and received neck and back injuries. I was not able to care for my child as usual because of my injuries.

Asked on September 12, 2012 under Personal Injury, New York


Robert Slim / Robert C. Slim - Attorney at Law

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

There is really no set equation for determining the value of pain and suffering.  It depends on many fatcors such as the severity of the accident, the severity of the injuries, the length of treatment, the type of treatment (chiropractic, physical therapy, pain management, surgery, etc.), and it can also depend on the venue of the case.  (Juries in some counties are far more generous than in other other counties).  It might do you good to contact a personal injury attorney for a free case review and consultation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.