What to do if I am 21 years old and my absent father took me off of his insurance?

I understand that I am supposed to be insured until the age of 26. Is this legal for him to do this and if not, how can I get back on the insurance? I have contacted the company that he works for and they have told me that he needs to put me back on himself which I know he would never do so. What can I do to be insured?

Asked on May 2, 2013 under Insurance Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You can't do anything to force him to insure you. You are unfortunately mistaken as to the law--you are not "supposed" to be insured until the age of 26; rather, the law gives parents the right, but not the obligation, to keep their children on their insurance until age 26 as a way to get the children lower-cost insurance. However, any parent, unless subject to some court order to the contrary from child support or custody proceedings, is free to not insure their adult children.

As an adult, your option to get health insurance is the same as that of every other adult: you may purchase your own insurance.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.