How to go about suing a company who promised a salary after you quit your job

I applied for a job through to be a HR manager. I reached out to the owner to plead my case for the job. He called me a few days later to inform me that I had the job and promised me that he would pay me the amount that I was making at my previous job. I went through the proper procedures to leave my job after receiving my job offer sheet. After working for this company, supposedly hiring other employees who have quit or turned down jobs also, the owner never met nor followed through with any of his obligations as a company such as signing contracts or activating payroll. His

Asked on September 23, 2017 under Personal Injury, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, if you did not get a written employment agreement from him which guaranteed you your job and salary for some fixed or given amount of time (e.g. a one year contract), there is most likely nothing you can do. All employment in this nation is "employment at will" except if and to the extent modified by a written employment contract. That means, among other things, that there is no guaranty of a job or pay: an employer can promise a job or promise a salary and then renege on it, just like an employee can take a job, then refuse to actually start work or else quit right away. An offer sheet would not form an enforceable contract unless it was for a set length of time (e.g. that you were guaranteed the job for a year); written offers that do not prevent you from being terminated for some length of time do not actually modify employment at will. While what this person did is certainly unethical, based on what you write, it is not actually illegal.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.