How long can the county hold someone pending extradition if the state that issues the warrant is not responding?

My husband was arrested friday morning on a outstanding warrant dated back 20 years.He was released from CDOC 4 years ago and paroled here in our current state, the PO contacted them and they stated that the warrant was non-extraditable and he was released from parole. He had a court date today and it was rescheduled till tomorrow pending documentation. He has been in county now 5 days with out being seen by a judge.

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Criminal Law, Colorado


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

A county court has no set timeline for holding an inmate if that inmate has an open warrant in another state or jurisdiction. However, usually after a week or so without having any word on whether or not a person will be extradited, the person in custody will usually be released. To speed up the process, you can hire an attorney to file a emergency Habeas Corpus motion to grant the release of your husband from custody if you can show that there are no legal grounds to hold him custody for an extended period of time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.