Can me and my other sibblings split my dads proprty and law suit money

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can me and my other sibblings split my dads proprty and law suit money

My dad died when I was young so I believe his wife got the house then she died. My father had 6 kids from 2 woman. My brother and I were the 2 outside of their marriage. So the wife lived in that house with her 4 kids. And my brother and I were outsiders. My dad owned a house worth 1.3 million while me and my brother struggled everyday. Then he filed a law suit against MTA for 1 million dollars. He died before they finished the case. So I want to know if me and my brother is entitled to any of the money because his other kids got there part.

Asked on December 11, 2017 under Estate Planning, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and the situation.  If your Father dies without a Will then yes, you and your brother should have received part of the proceeds from the settlement. If he had a Will and you are not mentioned at all then you are in good shape because in Virginia you need to specifically disinherit children.  Have the lawyer check the Probate court for the filings here.  There could also have been trusts which are not filed.  And check the lawsuit filing against the MTA as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption