How do you file an exemption on a levy of property that has been executed?

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country if there has been a levy upon assets owned by a judgment debtor there is a set time period for the judgment debtor to serve and file a claim of exemption with respect to the property levied upon with the court clerk's office. A claim of exemption typically is a pre-printed form to be filled out by the judgment debtor. If timely done, the court clerk then sets a hearing date for the judge to make a hearing on the disputed matter.

If the item is exempt from levy, then the judgment debtor gets the item back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.