How do you stop a foreclosure?

Our mortgage company informed us after we had called them that we have a sale date on our home. We had been served papers but we got the date cancelled but they filed it again. We filed for bankruptcy however it was dismissed. The company does not offer us any hope. How do we stop the sale?

Asked on July 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Louisiana


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Please go and speak with an attorney in your area as soon as you can.   You will need to bringthe mortgage up to date before the sale as your state has no statutory right of redemption - meaning you have a time after the sale to redeem your property from the buyer - but you will have the right to reclaim the property (you have priority). Have the lawyer check the paperwork to make sure that you received proper notice, etc.  It could buy you time. Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.