If my boyfriend was denied an apartment due to his criminal background, is this discrimination?

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my boyfriend was denied an apartment due to his criminal background, is this discrimination?

There is a criminal living in the same apts with bad credit.

Asked on June 1, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You would really have to consult with an attorney in your area on the matter.  Some states have it codified - actually written in to the law - that a landlord can choose not to rent to a person as long as the reason is not based upon those categories that are protected from discrimination under the law: race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc.  Your category here is not one of those that is protected under the law.  I do understand that you believe that he might be subject to unfair discrimination given that another lives in the same complex.  Bring that up with the attorney.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption