How do I recover money deducted from my wages by accident?

I had a wage garnishment totaling under $800 and my employer has now taken double that. I think they forgot to stop deducting the money. What are my rights and what are they’re responsibilities?

Asked on September 21, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If your wages had too much deducted from them, then you have the right to reimbusement. An employee is entitled to pay for all time worked, less any legally required deductions (e.g. alimony, child support, etc.). At this point, if you feel that the deduction was all a mistake and your employer doesn't pay you what you are owed, you can sue them in small claims court or file a wage claim with your state's department of labor. If your employer takes action against you for excercising your legal rights, then this constitutes "retaliation" which is illegal and actionable as well. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.