How do I prove fraud?

I went into business with my ex-husband. I spent a lot of money on computer equpment and his education (seminars etc). At the time of the divorce, he claimed the company was worthless and I had no way of proving otherwise. Now after almost 5 years, he still runs the company and even though he claims very little income, he lives a lavish lifestyle.

Asked on October 23, 2011 under Family Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you sue him, you will access to the legal mechanisms of "discovery": e.g. interrogatories (which questions), document requests (e.g. to get bank statements, tax returns, balance sheets, accounts payable and receivable, etc.) and subpoenas (which could let you get information from third parties, like customers of his or banks). So if you sue him, you may be able to establish the true income from and value of the company.

You should speak with a family law or divorce attorney and describe the situation to him or her in detail. If the attorney feels that you have a legal cause of action and that it woudl be worthwhile pursuing, then you can file a lawsuit and be able to access the legal tools to obtain information from and about him and his company. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.