How do I go about marrying my illegal immigrant boyfriend if I am a US citizen?

He is over 18, has been in the country since he was 16 years old, attended public school for 6 months, pays taxes and has never applied for public assistance. We also have a 2 year old daughter.

Asked on July 3, 2012 under Immigration Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The way you go about marrying your boyfriend who is in the United States illegally is pretty much how people in this country who are United States citizens get married. They go down to the local county office of vital statistics and obtain a marriage license.

Once obtained, a minister or judge is contacted to perform the ceremony. The minister or judge signs the marriage license and submits to the local county office of vital statistics for filing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.