How do I go about filing a complaint on a public defender?

I was lied to and manipulated into taking a plea bargain with promises that after 3 years of

completing probation and not getting anything else on my record so they could be expunged. When all along even then a violent felony could not be expunged. I feel like even after all the

evidence I gave him proving my innocence, he did not have my best interests at heart, and because he promised me to come to him years later and it would be expunged knowing that I had no clue that he was honest with me.

Asked on June 29, 2016 under Criminal Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It's almost certainly too late to file a malpractice suit: the statute of limitations, or time period within which a lawsuit must be brought, in your state is only 1 year for legal malpractice, and while there are some situations that extend that period, they would not extend it for 8 years.
However, you can file an ethical complaint against him with your state bar association: contact the state bar for instructions on how to do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.