How do I get that is owed to me in my divorce?

I have been divorced for 10 months now. In my divorce decree my ex-husband was/is supposed to pay me 200k within 30 days of our divorce. He has only paid me 35k. We didn’t use attorneys we wrote up our own agreement and signed it in front of the judge. What do I do to get the money that is owed? I don’t have money to hire an attorney.

Asked on September 18, 2018 under Family Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

The agreement is a contract; you can file a "breach of contract" lawsuit against him--when someone violates a contract or agreement, they can be sued to enforce its terms. The court has the power to order him to pay what he is supposed to pay. While an attorney would cleary be helpful, you have the right to be your own lawyer ("pro se"); contact the court clerk's office and/or look on the court's website for instructions on filing a suit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.