How do I get my child support lowered to a reasonable amount?

I feel that I’m paying to much for one child.

Asked on January 15, 2013 under Family Law, Ohio


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First, arrange for a consultation with a family law attorney. Take your W-2's and pay stubs and they can tell you if you are paying what is required within the guidelines or not.  If you are, then you're stuck.  If you are paying more than the guidelines require, then you can file a motion to modify your support obligation.  I'm suggesting a consultation with a family law attorney first-- because it will be cheaper than filing for a modification and then loosing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.