What to do if a few years ago my dad got custody of me and y mom pays him child support which he doesn’t really need?

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a few years ago my dad got custody of me and y mom pays him child support which he doesn’t really need?

I didn’t hate my mom or was I in a bad enviroment; I just never knew my dad and wanted to live with him to get to know him. Well I did, and I have discovered my dad lied to me and he only sued for custody of me to hurt my mom and get her to pay child support. The judge said my mom didn’t have to pay child support, I was 16 at the time, but a year later my dad went to the Oag and asked them to change the order so he could get child support.My dad makes over $80,000 a year and my stepmom makes good money.my mom is a single mom and has to take care of my two little brothers. She makes nowhere near what my dad makes and its a struggle for her. Can I stop this since I am the child

Asked on January 15, 2013 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You sound like a very level headed and caring young person.  If you were 16 at the time and it was a few years ago I am assuming that you are 18 or close to it, correct? In Texas, child support is automatically terminated at 18 years of age or when the child graduates high school, whichever occurs later. So it may actually be coming to an end at this point in time.  Once you reach 18 you can also make the choice to again live with your Mother rather than go through a battle at this point in time.  And then maybe you can help with your little brothers which I am sure that she would appreciate.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption