How do I divorce an illegal immigrant who has been deported?

I have been married for 7 years, my husband was arrested and deported due to domestic violence, now I want a divorce but he is in Mexico, I don’t know the procedures I need to follow and I don’t want to chance him getting my children.

Asked on August 14, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


Thomas Peppler / Hochman and Peppler LLC

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor


In Florida you may still file for dissolution of your marriage and have him served in Mexico, or if you cannot find him, have him served by publication. The requirement is to be sure that he has legal notice of the proceeding. The local court has jurisdiction because you and the children have lived in Florida for over six months before you filed.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.