How do I compel my ex-husband to comply with our divorce decree?

My ex-husband and I agreed to split joint debt in our divorce. Our divorce decree assigns certain debts to me and certain debts to him. He has not paid on the joint debts that were assigned to him in the divorce decree. As a result I’ve had to make payment arrangements with one company myself to prevent a lawsuit from being filed against me and now the other company is calling for same. Do I have any recourse in the courts to force my ex-husband to start paying on these debts and can I be held harmless?

Asked on December 8, 2011 under Family Law, Michigan


Hong Shen / Roberts Law Group

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You need to go to the court to file a motion for contempt to hold him liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.