How can we kick out a tenant from a illegally converted garage?

My parents rent 2 rooms to 2 men inside a convrted garage, it has no permit. There is also a bathroom inside. For the past couple of months they have been having problems with one of the tenants. He doesn’t pay rent on time and he also brings people over to drink in our backyard, some of these people urinate in our backyard and my parents have to clean it the next day. They gave him notice to leave by the end of this month but it looks like hes not moving out and hasn’t paid this months rent either.

Asked on July 26, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your parents need to bring an unlawful detainer action to have the men evicted for failing to pay rent.  The self help office at your local courthouse can probably help you do that--or you can consult with a local attorney who handles real estate matters and they can help you and your parents navigate the process.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.