How can I challenge a court complaint?

I am being sued by a university that I attended 4 years ago. They are claiming that I owe them money for tuition but I withdrew from those courses. I have always been under the impression that my loans came through the government. I cannot access my student information because I owe a balance and FAFSA says I have to contact the school for loan information from that far back.

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you have been served with a summons and complaint concerning a alleged past due student loan, you need to file an answer with affirmative defenses to it within 30 days after being served with it or risk being defaulted.

There are forms for an answer that you can use online. As far as getting the information about the balance of your loans supposedly owed, you can ask the plaintiff (person suing you) in written questions and with document requests to produce such information to you during the litigation process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.