What to do about a HIPPA violation involving my bank and a teller viewing my accounts without my knowledge or permission and talking about this outside bank?

I recently discovered a former friend who works at the bank I use has been regularly viewing my accounts. Further, she has been talking about my financial situation to a mutual friend outside the bank. I contacted the bank and they immediately started an investigation and confirmed that she was looking at my accounts but not accessing them. They would not elaborate further on the resolution.I do know she was fired from a friend. I am still peeved at the bank as they won’t tell me how long she has been doing this as they only went back a few months. Do I have a class to sue the bank for restitution?

Asked on July 10, 2012 under Personal Injury, Ohio


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

First, this is not a HIPPA violation.  HIPPA violations applly to healthcare workers disclosing your private healthcare information without your knowledge or consent.  It would appear that the bank handled the sitaution appropriately.  The employee was terminated for her wrongful conduct.  With respect to you bringing a claim against the bank, in order to bring a claim, you have to have suffered some economic damage.  In this instance, you have not suffered any ecomonic damage so it would be very difficult for you to prevail in any type of claim against the bank.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.